Thursday, 21 February 2008

A cold hand...

Above is the knitting that I have been doing while Zebra-girl has been making a blanket for bear. It has shocked me quite how respectable it looks (and I think it would shock certain others too). It would seem that the disasterous lesson (the disaster being on the part of the pupil, not the teacher) that my husband's mother gave me some months ago in how to purl, where I seemed only to learn how to make large knots, holes and something that resembled a bird's nest, just needed some fallow time in my brain, before it could be tried again now and executed in such a way that row upon row of the previously elusive stocking stitch grew before my very eyes.

My project is the pair of mittens above. The only hard part is the thumbhole at the back, but I have now done that, using a stitch holder, so I think it will all be fine. Using the stitch holder was of course rather lovely, as for a moment I was able to delude myself that I was a proper knitter. I decided to start at the level that felt best suited to my skills and went for a pattern in a book aimed at children. The Girl's Best Book of Knitting, Sewing & Embroidery by Virginie Desmoulins is such a lovely book, that I don't think its use should be limited exclusively to small ones.

However, and this is no fault on the part of Ms Desmoulins, but it was a very foolish project for me to pick, for my patience with knitting is short and so I should never have settled upon something which requires two parts to be completed in order to be useful. I know that once I have completed one mitten, my enthusiasm for creating the second will have deserted me completely.

17 comments:

  1. Well done!! Some of my favourite knits are from a childrens book also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I am new to your blog and aleady addicted! Love the kimonos you make and you should definitely be selling them xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! I'm a big big fan of kids how to books - they suit my need for instant gratification so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps Zebra girl could do the other mitten for you once her blanket is finished?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh but it's so pretty I'm sure you'll be able to muster up the enthusiasm at some point.

    I can say that because I still have a scarf to finish that I started over three years ago so I know all about knitting patience.

    (and I don't know why but lately bloglines is only telling me that you've updated about 20 hours late, which is hugely irritating for something that advertises itself as a service for keeping you updated with the worldly goings on of lovely people. I am disgruntled, not with you, of course, and feel like writing a strongly worded letter.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! I had the same issue with socks. Unfortunately, my skills improved somewhat drastically somewhere bewteen starting the first and finishing the second, so I have one beautiful, perfectly (almost) tensioned sock, and one baggy, saggy, sad sock. I'm beyond bothered.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congatulations on lovely knitting. Its fab x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep up the good work girls,the knitting looks so pretty.Love the mittens!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not the world's best knitter (actually, I'm rather rubbish) but you've inspired me to check out The Girls' Best Book... and I think we need it at our place RIGHT AWAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Childrens books - I will have to remember that when I am next browsing, as I just can't seem to understand the others. Those mittens just look the cutest ever - can't wait to see the finished article
    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks like a great book! And I am loving your mittens already!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your knitting is looking great and as for using kids boks, well they can be beaten for clear instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks beautiful! My only knitting books are aimed at children. Nonetheless, I've never gotten past knitting a simple square.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Get Zebra girl on the case! But be careful she doesn't expect to wear them afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute mitt.

    Hmm I must admit I don't have the required patience for knitting either (mores to the point I'm not too good at it). I wish I was, the accessories and the yarn are so delicious.

    French knots is right, maybe Zebra Girl could take the reins.

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks like a great book... keep going, you'll get there in the end - and the mitts look like they will be well worth it

    ReplyDelete
  17. ps award awaits you on my blog Ms Flossie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - it's always really lovely to hear from people.

I now tend to reply within the comments section, so please do check back if you've asked a question or wish to chat.

Florence x