Monday, 18 May 2009

Bagsy

Last week I spent much of my time working on a new bag design. I recently sat down in a shop next to Joanne (we were there for the long haul, so it seemed a sensible thing to do) when I noticed that she had a wonderful tote bag with a central split in the middle revealing the most scrumptious green Amy Butler print. Joanne summed its loveliness up perfectly when she said: well, you don't always want a bag that's got colour and pattern all over it. And with all the suggestibility of a Stepford Wife, I found myself nodding my head and thinking: Damn it, she's right. I don't always want a bag that has a pattern all over it (although, sometimes I do...for there's fun to be had in being a changeling). The bag I eventually came up with has the same outline shape as my Melly bag, but with a different arrangement making up the inline (is that a word?) shape.

My lovely Mama popped round while I was mid-make. She has become so used to the constant production line that dominates my room that she has long since ceased to notice whatever it is that I'm working on and gets down to the happy business of tea-drinking and chatting while I cut things out and scuttle round trying to de-thread the carpet so that she doesn't go home with an extra coat. But most pleasingly, she set upon my new bag, ooohed and ahhhed in the most gratifying way and declared that she must have it, despite the fact that doesn't actually need another bag...which was perfect as it was at just the right point in production that I was able to make the handle a little shorter than usual for her, which is just the way she likes them. Here I am with it in one of those weirdy self-portrait photos that one occasionally feels compelled to take...yeah, that's me...just lounging against the wall...oh and I just happened to press the self-timer button before I began lounging. There's something so silly about it.

I created a narrow horizontal flap of material to visually tie up the two pleats of colour on either side, and have done the same thing inside to give the internal pockets a little more interest and detail.

I enjoyed making it so much that the minute I'd finished I started on this creamy lemony version, which is destined for my shop once I've taken some proper photographs of it.

Here's the inside purse and phone pockets:

I really want to make one of these bags for myself, but feel utterly indecisive as to what colour will go best with all my summer clothes...you'd think that I might just make them up in every colour...but somehow I find that I feel guilty making things for myself when I should be putting them in my shop.

Anyway, I have an appointment with a box of shoes now, so must go. Wishing you happy Mondays. x

25 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I love that one! I have started dreaming of fabric combinations, too....! Good job designing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful design Florence... very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are gorgeous

    April xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bags are so lovely, Florence, and so beautifully well made. Well done!

    Could you tell me, is that a natural linen you're using? And can you also tell me where you get it? Linen is quite expensive here in Australia so having an inside track on some inexpensive linen would be fabulous - it just looks so great.

    Thanks!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! you are so clever. love them love them.




    MBBx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great bags Florence. Your sewing is always so neat and tidy and precise. I am quite jealous! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had to leave a comment and say that I think those bags are absolutely gorgeous. Well done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Florence, they're very lovely. I'm particularly partial to a bit of linen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love your design and so perfectly made. The fabrics you used fit this bag wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes, you just have to love what you've done and this is one of those times. Its gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous bags! If you don't mind me asking, where do you buy your linen from? I have purchased some from ebay which have been disappointing. Fab tutorial as well, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great bag, not being one for too much colour I think it is just right.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that style. Plain with a hint of pattern is much more my thing than all over pattern.
    It is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry - did you just say you're indecisive about what colour bag to make for yourself? No, that really doesn't sound like you at all, Florence hehe :D
    Lovely bags - I do like linen with cotton prints.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love them! They are a lovely design!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those bags are perfect!!! Linen bags are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i absolutely love your bag design! you are right (as is joanne), i don't always want a flashy printed bag...but yours has a great subtle pizazz to it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi I Florence!

    I found your blog through U-handbag. I must say, I absolutely adore your bags. I was wondering if you sell patterns for this bag or any other bag that you make. I recently bought a sewing machine and am totally in love with it. I would really love to make this purse, if you don't mind. I visited your site, but did not find any. I'll gladly pay for any pattern and I promise not to disclose it to the public...

    -Leng

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the prints you picked with the linen. I never get bored with the beige linen and use it quite a bit. Thanks for the comments on my Flickr, I'll be back to your block for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Florence, I think this bag is the most beautiful one I have ever seen and I have been looking around a lot for "my" perfect bag. But I would like to sew it myself. Like Leng before me therefore the question: do you have a pattern or would you sell the pattern? I would love to make it. Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for all the bag love!

    To answer Claudia & Leng's question - I've had so many emails about whether I'd be willing to sell the pattern for this bag...that I've not managed to keep on top of my inbox (oops, sorry) - so instead I've posted a general answer to the question here: http://flossieteacakes.blogspot.com/2009/07/more-bags.html

    x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful design Florence I just love it.
    Milly

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful design Florence I just love it.
    Milly

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's beautiful at the first time I saw. The color, the material look very lovely.Perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - it's always really lovely to hear from people.

I now tend to reply within the comments section, so please do check back if you've asked a question or wish to chat.

Florence x