Thursday, 28 May 2009

Through the letterbox

Half-term has been whizzing by and after the sunshiny loveliness of last weekend which saw us going butterfly hunting (hunting to see them, not actually eat them), we have had a rain-soaked couple of days of pottering, setting up a cinema in the living room (we watched Two Brothers which is about the hunting of tigers and was absolutely amazing - even the littlest Teacake thought it was wonderful, although very sad in places). With child-filled daytimes I have been sewing a lot in the evenings: below are some of the make-up bags that I was stitching earlier in the week - two for a custom order...and an extra one that will go into my shop (Updated: now in shop).

I've also made this co-ordinating tissue holder and herb teabag holder that are heading off to New York soon. Once finished I happened to put them down next to the new bag that you may remember I'd blogged about making in my last post...I love it when one stumbles quite unintentionally across matchyness! It would be very pleasing if I could keep them all like that, weirdly assembled on the shelf. (Updated: this bag is now finally in my shop!)

I have also had exciting things arriving through my letterbox: some of you may already know of a new sewing magazine launching this month called Sew. Well, the first issue arrived with me a couple of days ago and it was such a treat to flick through its pages, for not only did it contain excellent interviews With Amy Butler and Eithne Farry, but it also had more obscure things like an insight piece into the traditional tailoring processes at Gieves & Hawkes on Savile Row, which I found myself strangely fascinated by...I love hearing about how people with traditional, more formal training work for I feel like they must be in possession of a kind of magical expertise, possibly handed down though a long line of descendants from the Elves & the Shoemakers. The little Teacakes were unusually eager to leaf through the magazine the minute it arrived on the doorstep to play a game of 'spot our mummy' as they knew that there was to be a small piece featuring my blog in there...and horay! It really was there.
On my second read-through, once the small ones were safely tucked up in bed that evening, I quickly realised that I couldn't possibly relax without my laptop next to me to follow up all the links to the previously unexplored fabric shops that were scattered throughout its pages. I was truly amazed - I'd thought my own internet trawls for UK stockists of my favourite fabrics had been truly exhaustive...but it seems as though I had only scratched the surface, for there is much loveliness to be found closer to home than I had first thought.

9 comments:

  1. Your items always look so lovely :) And thank you so much for letting us know about that new magazine, I was not aware of it and feel so happy when I learn of new resources to find UK based sewing shops and info, I'll be sure to look out for it and then for you inside it ;) all the best x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the article! Your make up bags are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh! I was interviewd for that magazine ... they said they would send me a copy ... am I in it??? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the article Florence and I do love your fabric combinations. The make up bags are just lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must look out for that magazine as it looks great. Lovely things you have made as usual too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the shape and the fabric you've used in that make-up bag. It's really feminine.

    Congratulations on the blog write up in Sew. There seems to be an awful lot in it. I even got a few fabriccy mentions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, first you teach me all about feet on Sew Mama Sew, then I swing by here, and you tell me about a new mag - you are heaven sent today :) Now, let's just hope I can find said mag in ireland ...:( I have my doubts. lovely site, loving the tutorials - yippeee - another cool blogland find !

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok, me again - I have just checked out the tutorial on the zippered 'pouch' again - and I have read a zillion of these, and this one is by far the best and funniest - I am inspired and will try and make one this week following your VERY detailed (thank you!) directions...I'm telling you, heaven sent !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay well done on being featured! I bought the magazine and it looks great. You're right though, so many fabric shop links to follow up on!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - it's always really lovely to hear from people.

I now tend to reply within the comments section, so please do check back if you've asked a question or wish to chat.

Florence x