Sunday, 21 March 2010

My week off...part 1


Thank you so much for all the lovely comments about the robot and also for the suggestions about attaching arms (if you're thinking of making one yourself then do check the comments on my last post, as there are some good ideas in there).

I have started a Flickr group called Flossie Teacakes Patterns & Tutorials: Made by You (yes, it's a short and snappy title) where I would love it if any of the sewers who have used one of my patterns or tutorials wanted to upload some photos of the finished makes - it makes me so happy seeing these and it would be lovely to have them all in one place. I love the different results that can come from a pattern - seeing the lovely fabric combinations that people have chosen or the places where the original design has been changed to make it very much their own (and often even better). Anyway you can find the pool here on Flickr and I've also put a photo link to the pool in my side bar: eyes right. And as mentioned in the last post, at some point very soon I'll do a post about some of the lovelies that I've already been sent photos of.


I am so enjoying my week off...I have sanded and oiled work surfaces, tables and chairs and planted daffodils in pots of the kitchen windowsill. I love the little black, green and yellow alien that is sitting in the middle pot. Dinosaur-boy made it for me a couple of months ago using Hama beads and it seems so full of character. I have also been baking bread from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day that I mentioned in my last post.

The authors say that you must crack the basic dough recipe before moving on to any of the others...well, I didn't quite manage either of those things, as I realised that I didn't have any plain flour left only once I'd started measuring some of the other things out...so I made wholemeal bread instead, using their method and my wonky recipe. One of the things that the recipes focus on is having a crackling crust and a chewy centre. The crackling crust is partly created by having a broiler in the oven to generate steam...not having a broiler, I filled up a big stoneware dish and let the water sizzle away in there. I was amazed at the difference this makes and the crust really was crackly (just like bread made by real artisans...I'll let you know if I ever turn into one of those, but it could be some time) The inside felt undercooked by a minute or two to me, although everyone else loved it...I also felt it was slightly lacking in flavour, so I'm going to do some tweaking on my next attempt, which will be at 6.30am tomorrow morning.


I have also been getting my windowsill herbs in order, which seemed to have died off over the winter. I have also had the Little Teacakes at home for an extra day when we made kites, laminated them and then took off to the park in the drizzle to fly them...it was lovely as there was no one else there and they did fly despite the rain as if you run down a hill fast enough things do tend to flap up behind you, which was good enough to make us feel that they were completely successful.


I have also finally got Rosalie Quinlin's Grandmother's Flower Garden range firmly in my paws, a belated birthday gift from my Mama. We ordered them from the States as it was just about impossible to find the range in the UK and the rarity of the fabric meant that where it was available the price was too prohibitive to actually buy any of it. The package took three weeks to arrive as it got delayed in customs and incurred a £19 charge - eek!


Anyway, it feels far too lovely to hoard all to myself, when it's so elusive in this country, so I'd love to share a small bit with you...I was thinking that a little charm pack of squares might mean that someone could make a patchwork cushion or something else lovely, does this sound good? I'll have details of that in the next couple of days, once I've had a chance to cut some squares.


I've completely fallen in love with the little houses and teapots that pops up in one of the designs.


And these selvages! Lecien always tend to do gorgeous ones, but I'd forgotten this and suddenly saw them today when I unfolded a piece. I do hope Rosalie is aware of her own utter fabulousness to be capable of designing such an amazing range...it's completely magical and nostalgic of childhood. I can't wait to get some into Zebra-girl's room so that it might become woven into her own childhood memories.


I have also been doing a spot of dressmaking....or skirt making, at least. This time, somewhat optimistically, a summer skirt. Making it has brought up lots of thoughts around the matter and so that will have to wait to be a whole separate post of its own.

With wishes for a happy week,
Florence x

12 comments:

  1. Oh my, those fabrics really are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this fabric and I had not seen it until now. I have been looking, but I can't seem to find it in Australia either. So you can bet I will be putting my name down for that giveaway! :)

    PS. There is a giveaway on at my blog at the moment too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fabrics look delicious! I tried to find them here too and only managed to find the cute cottage pattern fabric, you'll be having lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see why you like that fabric so much. Its yummy. Naughty customs. Its always a worry isn`t it. I am always a little irritated at how hard it is to get stuff in the UK and often have to play the customs lotto.
    Bread making is so satisfying, if a little time consuming. I am sure you underestimate your skills. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's hope for a proper summer so you can enjoy wearing your summer skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I LOVED this post Florence! I have been trying to catch up on my favourite blogs as I have been away from the computer for a bit and have really enjoyed reading through yours. Of course I am desperate for a chat over fruit tea and cake to discuss the ins and outs of your beautiful quilt. It is so gorgeous and I love its delicate muted tones which just speak of rest and calm. Perfect. Have a lovely week xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had such a good week, Florence. Those fabrics look wonderful - I'm sure the colours must have set you thinking about summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fabric is amazing, bet it will be fun to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love the fabrics, they are exactly what I want my living room to look like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh . please include me in your giveaway! I have been looking for this fabric in the UK for ages but have not been able to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, those fabrics are lovely. I'm off to visit mum and dad in Australia in a few weeks time. I might just get some fabric delivered to their house, you know, just in case there's a spare moment to get out the sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. such lovely fabrics florence and such a lovely blog - your skills are wonderful.
    anniex

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - it's always really lovely to hear from people.

I now tend to reply within the comments section, so please do check back if you've asked a question or wish to chat.

Florence x