Wednesday, 23 June 2010

She's having a baby...


The madness continues: shirring is infiltrating my existing wardrobe of clothes. This top (from Gap) is one of my favourites, but it's very long and baggy...do you see how strange I looked tucking random bits of it in the hope that it wouldn't appear as though I was wearing a tent as I went around Paris? Not very chic.

I could have just hemmed it a little shorter, but I put off hemming things as it's not my favourite kind of sewing...and I felt a little scared to cut this jersey top as I love the fabric. Shirring has all the answers...you don't need to cut the fabric, there's no tedious cutting and folding of hems. I simply whizzed in with two lines of shirring around the bottom and the top is the now just right for me.

So here I am at about 10am looking possibly pregnant:


At around 10.03am my machine was merrily elasticising the fabric as I looked on gleefully.


At around 10.09am I have seemingly had the baby, and am just left trying to find an angle at which my arms don't look like sausages. [Knowing how versatile shirring is I'm sure that there's something it can do for this predicament, but until I've found out what that thing is I shall persist with my nightly regime of push-ups].


Do share your own shirring adventures. I know that a few people said that they were getting straight to it after reading my tutorial earlier in the week - I'd love to know how you got on.

Florence x

9 comments:

  1. Oh great idea! There are a multitude of tops I own that are just too baggy or long at the bottom, I will fix them via the magic of shirring.
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fabulous! The perfect solution. Even more excited about shirring now. And I don't think you could possibly look pregnant even in the biggest blouse :)

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new baby! Very nice fix on the blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heavens I wonder if shirring is the answer to my excess middle?! Sadly think there might a problem fitting self under the presser foot so shall continue with regime of eating less and moving more

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I shirred this little dress for my daughter a while back and you're right, it looks frightening but is actually so easy! http://linaloo.typepad.com/linaloo/2009/05/summer-sewing-made-by-mama.html I remember Amy Karol doing some shirring on the back of some of her tops to create a more fitted look too. Very useful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You my dear-are a genius! Great save of a beautiful, but baggy, blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice change to your blouse, it looks fabulous now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If only giving birth could really be this simple, quick and painless. Congratulations to you and Mr Gap! Can't wait to get stuck in with my own shirring, perhaps even later today if I can prise myself off the computer.

    Have a lovely day. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You must be reading my mind as I was going to ask you where you got the pretty red top from. Great idea and it looks perfect now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - it's always really lovely to hear from people.

I now tend to reply within the comments section, so please do check back if you've asked a question or wish to chat.

Florence x