Sunday, 20 June 2010

Throwing shapes


This is what the little Teacakes made for Father's Day. A couple of days ago they spelt out the words 'WE LOVE YOU' on the garden lawn while I photographed their waggly limbs. They loved thinking up ways to spell out the letters and I was surprised by how much easier Dinosaur-boy seemed to find it to think in three-dimensional shapes than he often does on paper.

I then put it all together using PowerPoint (Mr Teacakes may scoff that this is still my preferred choice in editing software, but really, I repeatedly find that the mighty PowerPoint has no limits, other than making me seem a bit dorky and antiquated). We then had it speedily printed and framed and it is now waiting to be hung. Mr Teacakes loved it - hurrah!


On Father's Day eve the Teacakes made a giant meringue with me. After a busy hour of pouring, mixing, whisking and general meringue talk, both of them still called it making a 'remang'. This morning, finding ourselves in a strawberry famine, I piled on peaches, kiwi, passion fruit and blueberries...can it still be a pavlova with no strawberries? I can't show you all of it, because although it was very tasty, passion fruit can make things look unappetising in a frog-spawny way. So here's just a snippet.

I hope that you've had a lovely Father's Day...and if there were no Papa's involved then, then at least the most lovely of Sundays.

Florence x

[I should say that the whole body letters thing wasn't my own wonderful brainwave - I remember seeing something similar a couple of years ago...I just can't remember where. **Updated Hurrah! The original inspiration can now be found here in the form of Lina's lovely small ones leaping about having their own alpha fun. I love how her children have thought of a way of making the 'Y' together...that stumped us, so we separated out the Y and the V to be individual people.]

15 comments:

  1. oh that's wonderful! I'm going to file that for whenever I end up having kids! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute Florence. We did this a few years back for my hub's birthday...may be that was it? I keep meaning to do it for Christmas cards...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea, now if I can only convince my kids to do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely idea Florence. Loved the cardigan makeover in the last post too x

    ReplyDelete
  5. My teacher husband used to have his entire class of 9yr olds 'being' words and punctuation marks on the class room floor. We have some great pictures - imagine a group of boys spelling HELP!, for instance. There was always terrific competition to be ! or ? and who could curl up smallest to be .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous idea for a card and I bet Mr T was most pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love powerpoint in a sad way too... and loving the people spelling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that's such a great idea - I shall get my three to do something similar once they are all home for the hols. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely idea. May have to follow in your footsteps when my youngest is old enough to stand still for more than 2 seconds! You have had a busy week creating. Hope next week is as rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lina! I thought it may have been you, but I couldn't see it when I looked on your blog, so assumed that was just my poor memory. Please do send me a link so that I can credit your small ones with the inspiration.

    It seems from the comments that these body messages will be cropping up all over the place - I too can't stop thinking about the messages that could be spelt out...so much to say...I think we may have to find a willing photographer for a family body shapes session too.

    Jane - that sounds amazing - how wonderful - they must have loved his lessons.

    Thank you so much for the lovely comments. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Florence I had a job finding it too...http://linaloo.typepad.com/linaloo/2009/05/alphabet-fun.html
    He still has it hanging up in his office!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I missed this post earlier, don't know how. What a lovely family you all are! What a wonderful present for a Daddy to treasure for always. I wish I had your grip of PowerPoint - it's just a distant haze. What should we be doing now I wonder?
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for the link, Lina - I have updated the post to credit your lovelies. It's interesting looking at how similarly we've made some of the letters and how different others are. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - it's always really lovely to hear from people.

I now tend to reply within the comments section, so please do check back if you've asked a question or wish to chat.

Florence x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...