Sunday, 18 July 2010

The hat is finally off the sewing machine


This hat has been sat on my sewing machine in pieces for the last two months. Because my obsessive stitching nature means that I'm happy to stay up until dawn finishing things off, it's rare that I have any half-finished work-in-progress projects lying around while I'm working on other things. But this hat has foxed me. Adding seam allowances, getting all the bits to fit together still: I always think that this will be the time that circles work well for me...and yet the calculations involved in using them...they make my head ache.


So instead of admitting defeat and putting it in a drawer I have stored it on top of my sewing machine as if I was just about to set to work on it. Every day when I've gone to make something else (that doesn't involve circles), I have had to move the half-finished hat off the machine, and at the end of the day when I pack everything away, I have put the hat back in its resting place. Last night I finally thought that I may end up moving the hat back and forth for several years and that the intended recipient's head may be too big for it by the time I finished it, so I forced myself to redraft my pattern pieces again, and here it is. I think it's still a 1/4" too big on the crown, but she loves it. It's fully reversible too.


Here I am modelling it. I happened to measure my head circumference at the weekend, wondering why I can get my head into children's hats. Did you know that the average female head circumference is 24"? My head measures just under 22". This could explain so much. What happens in this situation? Is my brain necessarily smaller or does something else get pushed to one side? (UPDATED: I am normal! I have been misinformed, the average head is 22"! Hurrah! Thank you Two Hippos).


My lovely friend, Leanne, showed me this iPhone app last weekend. It's called Hipstamatic and it gives vintage lenses and flash to play with. They don't look that impressive in a rather dull shot like this, but I've taken photos of the little Teacakes with it this weekend that we have fallen completely in love with.
Florence x

8 comments:

  1. your 22 inch head is bang on average, most hats in GB are made around 22", could be why hats don't fit so many women. I studied millinery and until a few years ago practiced - so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy - thank you so much for letting me know this. I'd tried to find it funny, but actually I found it really worrying that my head might be like a little pea. I'm so pleased that I'd got this wrong - thank you!

    Am in awe of you having studied and practiced millinary though - you must rather adept at working with circles (I bet your head is 23"!)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 22" and terrible at maths! But my hats were moulded on wooden blocks mostly, so a sort of sculpture. There is an easy way, do e-mail me if you'd like it. r

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've played with Hipstamatic - it's almost enough to make me want an iphone.

    Though my head is probably too small to master yet another gizmo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful hat. I've just measured my head and you'll be pleased to learn it's 22"! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you like that pic try poladroid.net - for the none i-phone owners amongst us - really cute (esp when you have to shake the pics to get the to develop quicker lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha ha I know exactly what you mean. I caused myself a headache yesterday too. I thought, ooo I'll make my daughter a hat out of the lovely fabric, but instead of getting myself a pattern I set to work. Maybe not a good idea considering I have never made a hat before!!! Anyway, I was in stitches (excuse the pun!) when I put it on. Oh how I laughed. For some reason I occasionally think that fabric can hide mistakes, and so often I am proved wrong. It is just so unforgiving so often! I have just been trying to do get some ideas on line, so hopefully with a little tweaking all will not be lost.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, that is it, headache back with a vengeance. On holiday on Monday. Not smiling any more. It isn't going to happen unless it is completely unpicked!!! Ah well. Lessons learnt!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - it's always really lovely to hear from people.

I now tend to reply within the comments section, so please do check back if you've asked a question or wish to chat.

Florence x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...