Monday, 5 July 2010

My unexpected olive skirt


Yes, your eyes don't deceive you...this is indeed some olive dobby Pastry Line from the Anna Maria Horner Little Folks range...it seems that this will never arrive in England and so in desperation I placed an overseas order. When this fabric is reprinted (and does eventually make its way over here) it will be without its dobby spots woven into the material, so it seemed almost essential to snaffle up a little bit of this spotted goodness before it disappears.


But this was never meant for me. I bought it for a Little Folks quilt that I'm making for Zebra-girl, but when it arrived we realised that we wanted to narrow down the amount of colours used in the quilt...making this yard surplus to requirements. The deeply saturated colours in the Little Folks range and the way that people use them fascinate me - I love the quilts on Flickr that fearlessly mix the colours with wild abandon and often find myself getting swept along with their loveliness...but then have to remind myself that in the context of my own house, they might not work so well. I love every single print individually, but I am not good at mixing a huge range of colours and doing so makes my inner control freak, that craves order, jump up and down in protest. There are so many prints and colours from the collection that I would love to put together, but not all at the same time. So although this fabric went with the olive that was in one of the flowers for the quilt, I just couldn't stand how unruly the colours in the quilt were becoming.


As you can imagine, it was fairly traumatic for me to have to make yet another item of clothing for myself in voile, but somehow I coped (oh, the happiness of realising that we wouldn't use this in the quilt...complete delight!).


The colour looks a little odd in this photo...it's not actually that limey. I lined the olive pastry line with some of Anna Maria's kiwi-coloured plain voile, which worked really well.


The skirt still has wonderful movement, but this time is not see-through.


But this skirt didn't actually start off life as a skirt...I actually made a dress identical to the one that I made in this post...but what had looked so lovely in the red, didn't work at all for me in the olive. I wore it on Sunday and by the end of the day realised that I didn't feel completely wonderful in it, the way that I did when I put the red dress on - I'm not sure the colour worked in such close proximity to my face, and I wasn't sure about the stripes over the bust (yes, you can see from the photo below...this is just all wrong on me).


But that's what's so perfect and versatile about shirring...I had unpicked the straps, folded the shirring in half inwards to create a double-thickness waistband (which works so well and will be how I make shirred skirts in future) and shortened the hem by 6 inches, all within half an hour of having this realisation. And as a skirt, I am completely in love with the colour. The fabric looks slightly silky and makes me feel like I may be off to a prom...fifteen years too late and in the wrong country for prom-going, but no less lovely to wear.


The lining is an inch or two shorter than the outer fabric...which makes me happy, because there's still a little bit of that floaty loveliness in there at the bottom.

Florence x

20 comments:

  1. It's beautiful. I love olive, as a colour (I don't like to eat olives, something my little girl can't understand, since she loves them. But that's a whole other story). Great choice to make it into a skirt. Where did you purchase the AM fabric if I may ask?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Love that colour, I would never have thought to use it in a skirt but it's so perfect! A little request - if you ever have time, would you be able to post a hint or two on how you attach your lining? I've been going over this in my head and can't quite work out how the two would go together. Thanks! Danielle x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much - no, I'm afraid I can't understand that either...they're one of my favourite foods. Especially good with a glass of wine.

    Sorry, I should have said, but was going to put the details in a post about the actual quilt...but when the spots are disappearing then these really can't wait perhaps.

    I bought it from an Etsy seller called Fabricpalooza...but she no longer has any in stock. However, there do seem to be quite a few places in the US that still have some of the colours, so good luck in finding some.

    Florence x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Danielle

    Yes, I'll hopefully do a tutorial on it at some point - I'm hoping to make my daughter a skirt at some point in the next few weeks and when I do I shall try to remember to take some photos of how this is done.

    Florence x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a pretty skirt - I thought it was a lovely dress too. Do you sew the lining and the skirt together before you shirr?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this fabric - shame it's so difficult to get. My voile arrived, and I love it but can't quite decide what to make! Found this http://thelittlelavenderpatch.com/Default.aspx?go=ProductDisplay&ProductID=26587 whilst trying to track down some more flannel. Love the tuftedness and the colours and it also comes by the meter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo Florence you are spoiling yourself with so many lovely items!! I love fabric with 'dobby' spots I have some in various rainbow colours waiting to be made into a quilt for my sister's imminent babe. Oh, just noticed Jane has mentioned the Little Lavender Patch, which is where my tufty cotton is from. Their red is just gorgeous, oh and the turquoise and green! They also do seersucker which I find hard to source. I love seersucker, reminds me of my childhood....

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's fabulous! I am really wanting to make mine now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Ms. Teacakes - Thank you for your most wonderful blog. I do enjoy all your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great! I think that I have finally found some of the AMH fabric in a shop an hour's drive from here. Now I just need to find a way of escaping this mad house to go there...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodheavens Florence!! You have gone SHIR Crazy!!! I am quite intrigued about all this voile talk though ...and that other Japanese fabric ... I think I will have to investigate. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ady, yes I do, I think it's kinder to the fabric to have two layers, rather than one, for all that elasticy goodness to be worked over.

    Jane, you complete treasure, thank you so much for sharing your fabric sources - that dobby is gorgeous.

    Yes, seersucker reminds me of childhood too...it's funny, I don't think my children have anything seersucker...I must get some so that it can become a part of their memories too...there's something lovely about it.

    Go, Amy, go!

    That's so lovely that you've finally found somewhere that stocks the AMH - I hope you manage to get there now.

    Julia - yes, I hang my head in shame...it's becoming embarrassing that my obsession is so public. I will have to hide it by thinking up posts about other things...but what else is there....?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the dress turned into a skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful skirt :) the AMH fabric is just gorgeous. I'll be looking out for the post about adding the lining. I have an inner control freak too and admire people who can just mix and match patterns with wild abandon I find it really tricky and a bit stressful really lol!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's such a gorgeous skirt and the fabric is amazing - I'm off to Etsy straight away! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Skirt! Does anyone know of a similar pattern online or in stores. I've been looking and looking for one.:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am happy to have stumbled upon your blog today.

    Pretty olive skirt...and I just love the spots.

    I am almost 33 (in 22 more days). I view my life as "scrumptious" and have 2 little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That fabric sent me off on a frantic search as it was just what I imagined making Sew Liberated's Schoolhouse Tunic in: I have tracked some down in the US: Harts Fabrics. Though sadly not in the green. They have/had a small amount of Saffron; Curry and Orange. Now awaiting an international delivery ...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wasn't planning on posting as 'anonymous' [above]: not sure how that happened!

    ReplyDelete
  20. And Saints and Pinners have just put some on their site. Go shop!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - it's always really lovely to hear from people.

I now tend to reply within the comments section, so please do check back if you've asked a question or wish to chat.

Florence x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...