Thursday, 26 August 2010

I'm not mad about saffron...


I have been working on Zebra-girl's quilt top again and it was almost finished...but then I realised that perhaps the reason that it was taking me so long was because I didn't actually like it. So last night I took it apart, removed all traces of saffron yellow from it, and replaced it with this palest buttermilk yellow, named Froth, pictured above (yes, also from the Anna Maria Horner voiles range - you can find it here). Calmer, more tranquil and making me feel happy.


Zebra-girl agreed that such a bright colour (see photo above) was probably better used on cushions for her room, that were more easily changed when she tired of the colour. The saffron has a Mediterranean feel to it that seems at odds with the colours in the rest of our house. And seemed at odds with the weather last night too....but what a perfect activity sewing can be when there is a rainstorm lashing down outside. I opened the window to hear it better and thought how incredibly cosy quilt-making is.

Florence x

Ps. I apologise for the Donovan inspired title...but the song has been going round and round in my head as I have written this post.

10 comments:

  1. oh No now its going around in my head too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog!
    And I'm glad to have a new song in my head--I've had a polka playing in there for 2 days for some inexplicable reason and it's been driving me bonkers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. o.k. now I'm ear worming it too! It may end up round the world!!

    " she's just mad about me" da da da

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think about the rain lashing on the window (you're right, that's a wonderful sound when you're inside in the warm) and see if that can't conquer the ear-worm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the lighter buttermilk yellow sits better against the blue of the quilt than the darker, deeper saffron yellow.
    Can't wait to see the finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the colours in the new quilt. it reminds me of afternoon teas, roses and old china cups. it's so painful doing all the unpicking but well worth it at the end of the day i reckon. i was quilting the other night too with lots of rain and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree about the quilt, it's lovely with the new colours. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You seem way too young to know who Donovan is, let alone the words to his songs! I do like the new yellow much better - it's softer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh where are you Florence? Am missing my weekly dose of your prose!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - it's always really lovely to hear from people.

I now tend to reply within the comments section, so please do check back if you've asked a question or wish to chat.

Florence x