Thursday, 12 August 2010

A sewing hiatus


I am finding the balance of being able to sew and not turning into a strange night owl creature so difficult this summer holidays. My mind is overflowing with things I want to make...but I feel suddenly quite exhausted ,which is most unusual for me as normally I seem to have unlimited amounts of stitching energy to expend....a reserve, if you will, as deep as the piles of fabric in my stash (and possibly the bolts of fabric in several online sewing shops). Our days are full of seeing friends and grandparents, lovely bike rides, playing in the park, baking, story-writing, reading and milkshake-drinking...but there's an undercurrent of tiredness for me, as though I'm wading through thick treacle (as we made ginger bread the other day, Zebra-girl did comment on how much she'd like to live in a room filled with black treacle...I am finding just the feeling of being knee-deep in it slightly unpleasant).

I am familiar with the sewing brick wall that often comes in January, after over-stitching myself in a glut of pre-Christmas-rush makery, where one's mind is suddenly empty of stitching things, few things inspire and one is generally all-sewn-out. But to feel too tired to sew the things one desperately wants to make feels like a new, and most hideous, thing indeed. A point has been reached where I must decide between sewing handbags and having a few, less attractive and more darkly-hued, bags permanently attached beneath my eyes.

I shall be back on Monday after an unwanted, but hopefully beneficial, sewing hiatus.

Wishing you a lovely weekend,
Florence x

NB. It's not actually handbags that I'm yearning to sew at all, but that worked conveniently with the whole under-eye bags analogy. It's clothes: clothes for me, clothes for Zebra-girl, clothes for Dinosaur-boy...I'm even wanting to have a go at making a shirt for Mr Teacakes. I also have ideas for several new patterns that I'd like to write and several new things that I'd like to learn...not enough hours.

11 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, it's so frustrating having a head full of things you want to sew but not having the time! I am sending the kids off for a play date this afternoon and intend to spend all the precious spare time sewing :) hope you find some time too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I know how you feel, the days go just so fast that I can't just make everything that I want, and it is not only sewing, but writting and making other things like jam, baking, redecorating once again the bedroom and dinning room, meeting with friends... I am tired even just to list all this things :/

    Hope you find time to do everything you want, but more importantly, enjoy your family, they should always come first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that feeling so well, Florence. I've given myself a 1st September deadline to get through all the things I have to do - no small children here, but summer throws up plenty of things requiring my time, from two sets of accounts and visiting relatives to dealing with Mother-in-law's need for cataract removal. Hopefully, if I give myself up to all these I can get to do the sewing, redecorating, crafting etc. without half my mind distracted. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - thanks so much for the incredibly prompt service! Am looking forward to finding my mojo (am hoping it's not gone too far), and making some make-up bags for presents. Don't be too hard on yourself about the hols, it sounds as though you're doing far more with your little people than I am!xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is always so much that we can do and endless lists of things that we want to achieve. When we finish something, another thing appears on the to do list. But we don't have to to do any of this, we may want to but we don't have to. So I try and look at what I am currently doing 'in the moment' as it were. Anything completed is a bonus. We are not super human and we really can't do it all. To appreciate what we can do and be proud of what we do, is key. Finding a balance is not easy I know. You sound like you are giving your children a lovely holiday. Please all enjoy. The must do's will still be there in a couple of weeks. Put your feet up for now and you'll get your old energy back - ready for when the children go back to school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry, just give yourself some time to smell the roses - or the treacle! Sewing will always be there. Wishing it was summer hols here, very rainy and miserable - I'm so over winter!! Danielle x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Florence

    I know just what you mean. I spend ages imagining beautiful things I might make AND I have a special stash of fabric waiting for my attention! Never-the-less all that story writing and gingerbread making sounds fun and the holidays will be over all too soon. I look forward to seeing new things here when you have had a rest. Meanwhile I'm dreaming of making up one of your makeup bag patterns with some lovely Cath Kidson fabric I bought on Saturday... xC

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm doing that thing where you lie awake at night running through your list in your head, as though that will take away the overwhelmed feeling. I think I am going to plow through some of it and then take a little break. I've got a few new craft books headed my way that I'm going to dive into and devour. Have a lovely weekend! Hope it's as lovely as your summer days sound :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The joys of motherhood!!! Before I had children, I would always say, I can't understand why women work full-time when they've had children. After having had them, I can understand fully. What a doddle it is working full-time compared with having your children full-time. You have to be on your toes constantly, my head is frazzled!!! I'm hoping they can have a few trips to granny and grandads before the end of the hols!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've come to accept that the dark circles under my eyes might well be permanent. So I'm looking forward to my husband returning to the night shift, so that I can get a few evenings to myself again and drag the sewing machine out more often...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, Florence, welcome to my world: living with CFS/ME means no energy for the things that really HAVE to be done most of the time. So, despite my brain being v full of crafty plans, not much actually gets made round here. Rest is GOOD - and I recommend spending 10 minutes getting ideas (and everything else) out of your head and onto paper. Makes it feel less frustrating.
    I've just bought Red Velvet & Chocolate Heartache on your recommendation and made the Birthday Cake for boyfriend's birthday today. So good! (Made up for his promised pairs of PJ trousers not being done yet.) Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - it's always really lovely to hear from people.

I now tend to reply within the comments section, so please do check back if you've asked a question or wish to chat.

Florence x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...