Wednesday, 29 September 2010

Another jacket


I bought this Japanese pattern book specifically for the jackets on these pages. I have fallen in love with the shape of both jackets, but more specifically their collars - from the beautiful shaping of the Peter Pan collar on the left, to the sweet simplicity of the round neck line on the right-hand jacket.


I have delayed making either, partly because it seemed indecent to make another jacket before the last jacket that I made had even seen the daylight, but also because I couldn't find quite the right fabric.


However, my balloon-sleeved jacket has now had several outings and yesterday I found a delicious fabric. I took my Mama out for lunch to celebrate her birthday in a lovely town about an hour's drive away...one of the shops there has some random bolts of fabric in amongst the bags, blankets and ready-made clothes that they sell and we found this beautiful wool fabric...and despite the fact that it was her birthday, she bought me a metre and half of its loveliness. It is incredibly thick and is just as pleasing on the reverse side, which is important in an unlined jacket.


I'm undecided as to which jacket I'd like to make yet, but intend to make a muslin using something ugly, so that I don't waste any of it.


The cooler weather seems to bring endless dress-making possibilities and only adds to my love of autumn.

Florence x

10 comments:

  1. I love your optimism as winter approaches. I do love autumn when the skies are blue and the leaves are crispy. In fact I love all seasons with blue skies. Unfortunately it is wet here (for a change!!!) and it just leaves me wishing I was somewhere hot!!! Happy stitching x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful fabric! I wish it was jacket weather here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both jackets, Florence and look forward to seeing which pattern you choose. I would love to know where you get such lovely wooly fabrics, I was looking for fine wool to make some lined trousers yesterday - no luck!
    x
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the designs and the fabric (both sides). Whichever one you choose, it'll be beautiful.

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great fabrics! Ican't wait to see the jacket you'll create, I'm sure it will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful jackets and the fabric is perfect. What is he name of the pattern book?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too would love to know which pattern book these are from - and are there any coats in the book? Lovely fabric, what a nice treat from your mum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fantastic jackets! Pity it is the start of summer here xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fantasic jackets- such wonderful shapes. It makes me wish it was Winter here xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to seeing your jacket. I'm sure it will be as beautiful as all your other makes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - it's always really lovely to hear from people.

I now tend to reply within the comments section, so please do check back if you've asked a question or wish to chat.

Florence x